Sunday, June 09, 2013

This post has nothing to do with Zack.

Just a warning.

Yesterday, Judy and I took a silversmithing class over at Glen Echo Park. We'd been talking about it for awhile and she finally dragged me along. And by dragged, I mean she asked me once if I wanted to go with her, and I immediately said yes and signed up.

Glen Echo Park is an amazing resource for artists and those who want to learn art. They have Artists in Residence for all types of media--painting, glass, pottery, calligraphy, silver--along with a whole catalog of classes you can take. Kelly is currently taking Swing/Lindy dance classes. We're only just starting to tap into what's over there, but I foresee going over there quite a bit more.

It was a 6 hour class, and it just flew by. The instructor is an amazing silver artist in her own right, and a very gifted teacher. She taught us about how the metal behaves and how we can get it to do what we'd like it to do. We cold and hot forged (Torches! Woo hoo!), learned how to cut, bend, anneal, and solder the the metal. Throughout the course of the day, I made a pendant, three pairs of earrings, a ring, and a bangle. I was pretty pleased with myself. We're now qualified to sign up for Open Studio time, and I can definitely see that happening. Judy and I are also looking to sign up for the next class, which is thee dimensional soldering and making settings for stones.

It was a fabulous day! It was so much fun to hang out with an old friend, make some new ones, and learn some new skills, to say nothing of gaining a new appreciation for all of the amazing silverwork we saw in Santa Fe.

No comments: