Wednesday, September 04, 2013

After care

Kindergarten is "full-day," the definition of which seems to be 8:50am to 3:00 pm. Rob and I wish that was also the definition of a full day of work, but it isn't. So Zack goes to aftercare, which is conveniently housed in his elementary school. The program is run by Kids After Hours (KAH; which also runs the summer camp that he'll be going to for the next 5 years or so), and so far seems very cool. The staff know all the kids' names, they really enjoy being there, and they make it fun for the kids. KAH works closely with the school, particularly in getting the kids from their classrooms to the aftercare site. They have a snack, and an opportunity to work on their homework if they have some. Then they can do various things, like go out to the playground.

This week they started having clubs on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I was looking at the list of clubs as I was waiting for Zack to come out last night, and saw there was a construction club. I asked about it and was told it was an opportunity to play with Legos, TinkerToys, etc. I commented that I'd have to mention it to Zack for the future. The staff person told me that Zack had already chosen to be in that club and had participated that day.

Alrighty then. I was also informed by Zack himself that I could pick him up later on Tuesday and Thursday nights so that he could be in the club longer.

I think he's adjusting OK.


1 comment:

Mom/nonnie said...

That's all so positive! Are we ever proud of our grandson!